Saturday, November 25, 2023

Hiking Somewhere to Nowhere

AlexHauck.Com

Cherokee National Forest
Saturday, August 5, 2023

This day started out as a complete and utter disaster. The first thing I did was let Frank out to use the bathroom and he immediately got blasted by a skunk. While getting him cleaned up one of the cats decides to puke all over the house. At this point I was running late so I rushed to get packed and could not find Frank’s water bowl and forgot to grab my tracking poles. 

- Frank & my route on Saturday, August 5, 2023 in Cherokee National Forest -
I searched South Citico Creek in AllTrails and did not pay attention to what it selected and proceeded to go. As Frank and I got closer to the trailhead I realized we were heading to a trailhead I was not prepared for nor did it say South Citico Creek. Since it was late in the day, I decided to go with wherever we were as it would take too long to get to the original location I wanted. Anyone who has watched my videos of hiking with Frank knows that he is excitable, to say the least, when we start so I did not get out my map to check things out.  

- Frank @ Jeffery Hell Trail Head -
I knew I was on Forest Service Trail 196 that is named Jeffery Hell, but what I did not know was this trail dead ends into South Citico Creek or Forest Service Trail 105 which is the one I wanted to hike. Like most National Forest Trails in the height of summer it was overgrown, and I was wearing sandals with Sealskinz socks because I had planned on a lot of creek crossings. As you can tell from the elevation profile from my AllTrails map there is quite a steep grade for about a half mile, and it was not fun in sandals. 

Just a little over two miles I reached a trail junction, and would you know the sign had rotten away, so I still did not know where I was. The trail went what looked to be straight or so I thought and decided to keep going. What I did not know at the time was this junction is actually South Fork Citico. A quarter mile or so after the junction going west on South Fork Citico you reach a beautiful little waterfall. Frank was even able to swim in the little pool for a while. 

- The First Waterfall After Turning East -
A little way past the waterfall the trail opened and then turned boggish. About 3.3 miles into the total of the hike the trail got overgrown with thorns and I did not want to take Frank through those, so we turned around. Thinking I must have taken the wrong trail at the intersection with the rotten trail sign we made our way back to it. There we had a quick lunch and headed in the opposite direction where we eventually ran into another waterfall/cascade. 

After continuing a little was down from the second waterfall we again ran into a heavy patch of thorns along the trail. At this point I figured it was good to call it a day and head back to the Jeep.

- The Second Waterfall / Cascade of the day going East at the trail sign. -

I was never lost and if I had wanted to take the time could have found out exactly where Frank and I were as I always carry a map and compass. When hiking with Frank it is hard to stop and get the map out without him getting anxious, but in hindsight I should have taken it out while having lunch. All that being said, I need to get back to this area and do some more exploring. I would love to just hang out in the area for 2-3 nights and just take it all in.



AllTrails Recording of the Hike:

Route down Jeffery Hell to South Fork Citico Creek and then back up Jeffery Hell.

Recording -  |  - Profile -


Related Video: North Fork Citico

Frank and I explore North Fork Citico Creek back in September of 2021. This was the actual Trailhead area I wanted to go this time.

YouTube Video:


Additional Story Links:

No comments:

Introducing Ms. Maggie May

Frozen Head State Park, TN July 7, 2024  It is my pleasure to introduce you to Ms. Maggie May who is our newest fur baby. After we lost our ...